Monday, January 19, 2009

What are you investing in?

So today is Monday and it's a holiday. I have the day off from work. Well at least from my paying job. I have been working on my homework assignment almost all day. I took a break a couple of times to eat. The class that I am working on is "Introduction to Christian Education." Months ago I read a passage in one of the books that really spoke to me. It was talking about Christians studying the Bible. At the time I started this book I was participating in a Bible study in my home. I really loved it but alas the time came to move on. Since then my studying of the Bible has not been as regular as it was. I have been doing my best to practice "first fruits" and give Jesus the first part of my day by reading my Bible in the morning. Some mornings get the better of me though. This brings me to the textbook. Here is the paragraph I read:


"If Christians are studying the Bible in church, Sunday School, and in home Bible studies, why aren't they valuing it enough to integrate it into their lives? The answer is that pastors and leaders are doing the Bible study, not the average Christian. The average Christian is passively receiving someone else's Bible study. Since the Christian is sitting and listening, what he or she is investing in is sitting and listening!"     

OUCH

That speaks volumes! I think back to all the years that I was the one sitting and listening but not doing the studying. The years that I was a stay at home mom but never picked up my Bible on a regular basis. Oh, I raised my sons to love Jesus. We sang all the songs, did the "Father Abraham" motions, went to church and Sunday School regularly. I always carried my Bible with me. But how many times did my young sons ever really see me sit and study the Bible. They saw me study school books (yeah, I've been going to school forever), they saw me read novels of all kinds, craft books, cook books, magazines. You name it and I was reading it (okay not the bad stuff).
 
Oh, how I wished they had seen me studying the Bible more. I wished that we had sat down together every day and had Bible time together. I just didn't think of it. My sons know how much I love the Lord and His Word. They see me read my Bible and study. They've been in my home during my Bible studies with my friends. There is no doubt in their minds, but I think there is some in mine. I don't know how much they read or how much they love God's Word. It's not that they don't love God or read His Word but how much? Are they sitting and listening or doing?

I can't answer that question but I can tell you this one thing. That when my sons finally bless me with grandchildren they will see grandma reading her Bible and we will be sitting together having Bible time. Yes I will still be singing "Jesus love me" and doing the motions to "Father Abraham" but I am going to make sure that my grandchildren grow up with a love of God's Word and a thirst to know it intimately.

So, what are you investing in?

1 comments:

Gayle said...

Great post Sheila! Wow... a lot to think about. I have encouraged my boys to read through the Bible in a year with me. Matthew has already finished Genesis. I love it! You're gonna make a great grandma someday!!